We are surrounded by water. According to the National Ocean Service, the ocean covers more than 70% of the Earth’s surface. 97% of the Earth’s water can be found in our oceans but it is undrinkable because of the salt. The last remaining 3% of water is made up of 2% frozen glaciers and ice caps while less than 1% of all water on Earth is fresh. Knowing this, why would we even consider polluting our oceans and rivers?
We are living in a time where Water Water everywhere is now becoming Plastic Plastic everywhere. Plastic pollution and ocean health
According to EarthDay.Org about 8 million metric tons of plastic ends up in the ocean annually. Of those, 236,000 tons are tiny pieces of broken-down plastic called microplastics that is easily ingested by marine life that mistake the small pieces of plastic for food. What’s even more alarming is that further up the food chain are humans that have at one time or another consumed fish that may have ingested plastic microfibers. (EarthDay.Org).
In an effort to prevent plastic washing back into the ocean, Beach Clean-ups are becoming a regular occurrence along coastlines around the world. Individuals, environmental groups, school eco-clubs and corporates take to the beach to pick up litter (especially plastic) so it does not wash back into the ocean and endanger marine wildlife.
The items collected during clean-ups is always surprising to me. I have personally
By taking part in these beach clean-ups you are leaving a great example
Corona Corporate Beach Clean-Up
Last year I attended a corporate Corona Beach Clean-up on Eastern Beach in East London in partnership with SAB Miller, Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality (BCMM), Border-Kei Chamber of Business, Transnet and EOH. It was part of the Corona X Parley Clean-Wave Initiative where a group of surfers have committed to cleaning up the beaches and stop more trash going into the oceans. Corona x Parley are creating a platform to go around and clean up all the beaches and protect 100 islands by 2020. This initiative is aimed at inspiring individuals to protect the oceans for future generations and to encourage them to become ambassadors for change within their communities.
Every time I attend a beach clean-up I am always so amazed at what I find. During the Corona Beach
My shock at how much plastic pollution was on the beach clearly came across as being quite passionate as I was quoted in two publications who covered the beach clean-up story. Check out the following link to Daily Dispatch https://www.dispatchlive.co.za/news/2018-06-23-liquor-company-leads-eastern-beach-clean-up/ and the link to Border Kei Chamber’s Call2Action blog https://call2actionweb.wordpress.com/2018/06/20/corona-x-parley-pledges-to-end-marine-plastic-pollution-by-starting-with-eastern-beach/
Post New Year Beach Clean-Up
The first organised clean-up for 2019 that I attended took place in Kidds Beach on the 03 January 2019. Living in a pristine seaside village, Kidds Beach is a tourist magnet, especially over the holiday season where visitors from near and far come to enjoy the sun, surf and waves. Sadly, the amount of litter left behind during the holiday season is disparaging to the community. Although the municipality did a big clean up after the new
Enter Abby van der Hoven, a young school girl who took up the challenge to organise a
The item most picked up this time was not plastic straws as I encountered during the Corona Beach Clean-up, but rather plastic tags that you find on bread. I know there are some positive uses to recycling these Bread Tags for Wheelchairs, but it doesn’t do any good on the beach – if you find them please drop them off at a Bread Tags for Wheelchair collection point so that they can be put to good use.
….oh and the other surprise was maybe the one golf ball we found too! The nearest golf course is 31.5 km from Kidds Beach so not sure about that. I also hope it is not
I am committed to participating in more organised beach clean-ups this year and have committed to helping Abby promote the next Beach Clean-Up for 2020 by using my PR and communication skills to promote the Beach Clean-Up, help educate and encourage visitors and the community to participate in the next event. The more people that are involved, the more motivated people are to get down to the beach and lend a hand.
What To Bring To A Beach Clean-Up:
I thought I would share a few tips on what to bring to your next beach clean-up.
Take a few extra black bags with you
Wear comfortable (non-slippery shoes if you climbing the beach rocks)
Sunscreen and a hat or cap
Drinking Water– clean-ups can be dehydrating.
A Positive Attitude
Encourage friends and family to come along and join you!
Trash Free Seas with Clean Swell
To make the Beach Clean-up fun, try out the awesome app, CleanSwell.